ArtsEverywhere in partnership with coculture invites artists and writers from the Middle East to submit pitches for long-form, investigative journalism or multimedia projects focused on the Levant Region (Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Palestine).
We are interested in underreported stories in the context of peace and conflict resolution, human migration, ethno-religious tensions, solidarity movements, culture creation or the global pandemic. While we are interested in collaborations between journalists and visual artists, we are open to other configurations of “artistic journalism” based on the strength of the proposal. Applicants who advance to the second phase of the selection process will be asked to submit a budget proposal that reflects the scale and scope of the project. Selected artists/writers will work closely with the ArtsEverywhere team to realize their vision.
Applicants are encouraged to look at previous stories in the series: http://curseofgeography.artseverywhere.ca.
How to Apply
- Please submit a 250-word pitch of your investigative journalism or multimedia project.
- Pitches may be submitted in English or Arabic, but proposals in Arabic must include a 250-word translation in English.
- Proposals should include relevant links/work samples that demonstrate strong narrative storytelling and outline intended collaborators, travel plans and production materials.
- Pitches should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- Completed works will be in the range of 5,000-10,000 words.
- Published texts will be translated in English and Arabic.
- ArtsEverywhere compensates commissioned projects generously and above market average. To ensure that each proposal is considered thoroughly and independently, compensation will be discussed during follow-up interviews between selected applicants and the editorial board.
Deadline and Timeline
- The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at midnight (EST).
- The second phase of interviews will take place the second week of January, 2021.
- Final decision on commissions will be made by January 18.
- We anticipate reporting and production would take place from January to March.
Any questions regarding the pitch process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ArtsEverywhere is a platform for artistic experimentation and exploration of the fault lines of modern society, through multimedia digital and print publications that integrate artistic practice, journalism and community organizing.
coculture is a Berlin-based, non-profit cultural organisation created as a response to the challenges faced by displaced cultural producers and works at the intersection of art, activism, and community-building.